The process is exactly the same way I crated the 3D letter, save as PDF file - open - print - tile print - change percentage depending on sizing - Print. Cut margins off - place together like a puzzle - lightly spray. spray mount onto paper - stick - cut - peal off. Done. Same process as type face.
Monday, 23 May 2011
I crated this when creating the arches cutout. I originally traced a blown up version of the Arches national park post card - that I uploaded earlier on, then used a black marker to trace on my light box. I had to add this tracing because it looked right, I don't know why but when I scanned it into photoshop then added the wood path it looked really good. Almost an artists response to Arches National Park, I know this was by chance this happened but I feel it looks really nice and wasn't something to go un noticed.
So I got around to using the wooden block type faces I made and the lino cuts. I am really please with the overall result, the scans are of me experiementing with the pressure and getting the wadding (newspaper) correct under the press. So these aren't the best prints I successfully did, however it does show how well it works.
The 'K' and 'Q' king and queen are cut into lino and I feel do not work work with the wooden cut jack and three. The left over lino creating that sketchy look to the print I think looks really nice and as a print work really well however adding to a playing card I may have to cut the excess away to match with the wooden cut type. Time will tell if it works or if doesn't, it will include some time within the print room, but this inevitable as what I have learnt over this first year.
This idea stemmed from the visit to The Minories, and viewing Laura Jackson-Willis exhibition. The work that she was showing was really helpful for the scrapbook theme I have been working on for some weeks now, yet it wasn't the idea within the journals that produced this idea for my work. It was more of the presentation of Laura's journal pages, I have scanned the pages in and produced a slicker journal however it has slightly lost the scarpbook/journal feel to it, however it still links back to the way I have been working. (scans of scrapbook will be uploaded at a later date). The way Laura has presented her work (image on the left) really gives a sense of what the pages look like together - whereas my scanned pages didn't look right in a single format and not in the company of the other page spread.
This idea would include double page spreads and zoomed in parts of the scrapbook taken from the sketchbook I had crated.
What I have noticed that the first couple of pages crated were in a landscape format which will make it difficult to mount with other landscape page
layouts. However I am not cancelling these pages out as they are still part of the scrapbook. Its all well and good taking photographs of all the pages from the sketchbook and mount on the wall, But I do not think it will do the pages justice and how the audience would perceive it.
By taking small samples of the collages on the page would create unpredictable graphics as its not supposed to be seen in this view finder approach. By going in close to the work it creates different types of work, pretty developing upon the work that has already been created.
Photographing pages like this gives a small glimpse of what the road trip was about, not only that it changes the perception of the scrapbook. If these were mounted on the wall and the sketchbook or made road trip journal, was in front of the photographs. The audience would get an idea of what was in the scrapbook before even looking in the book.
The Mount Rushmore page. The visit there felt rather surgical, this meaning the sort of aura there, no rubbish laying about, flowers cut and well looked after, I know its a national monument however it didn't drop it standard where ever i went, the toilets were even nice and I must admit the car park was nicely laid out. So placing the photographs in this organised manner suggests how it felt and looked in the park, no so much how the opposite page looked like but I felt at the time, this is page should look how it felt being there.
Thursday, 5 May 2011
I wanted more of a personal touch to this playing card project by using wooden block type and lino cuts for type. I know wooden block type is ready to use in the print room however it doesn't teach you how to cut with accuracy and to create sharp edges in wood and lino. I guess I am slowly making my own collection of type that I can use through out the course.
I have really enjoyed using the gouges and chisels to cut out the type. It only takes one slip to ruin it all, cut too much the letter doesn't look right, not enough doesn't look right. Takes time to cut but I do like working this method it gives great results when done correctly.
To go through all this effort and time, I am not entirely sure if this will work with what I have in mind with the playing cards that I have designed and planning to print, never less its all working process and good experience with lino and work cutting.